Welcome to PEI Kids
PEI Kids is dedicated to promoting and maintaining a safe environment for all children. PEI Kids works with the child, family and caregiver to provide prevention, education and intervention programs regarding personal safety, sexual abuse and the overall well-being of the child.
Quick Facts About PEI Kids
1) PEI Kids began in 1985 as Prevention Education Inc., when our founders, who worked at a rape crisis hotline, discovered there were no child sexual abuse prevention programs for children in Mercer County, NJ.
2) PEI Kids’ mission is to promote and maintain a safe environment for all children. Our aspiration for the children of Mercer County is “Safe Kids, Sound Futures.”
3) PEI Kid’s prevention education programs, which focus on topics such as child assault and sexual abuse prevention, bullying, and cyber-safety, reach over 14,000 children aged 3-16, as well as parents and school staff, in more than 65 Mercer County public and private schools each year.
4) In 2011, PEI Kids became the lead agency of the Greater Mercer Coalition to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse, which is part of the statewide and national “Enough Abuse” Campaign.
5) On average, over 250 cases of child sexual abuse are reported in Mercer County each year. The County Prosecutor’s Office refers 100% of these cases to PEI Kids for child-trauma focused and family-centered support services.
6) Run in partnership with local law enforcement, including the Mercer County Juvenile Probation Department and Family Court, PEI Kids’ Juvenile Intervention programs for youth on probation and/or with anger management issues have helped more than 1,300 juvenile offenders on probation become less of a danger to themselves and the Mercer County community. These programs offer violence prevention and conflict resolution skills development, gang culture education, tolerance and critical thinking skills, and training in respect for authority.
7) Under contract with the NJ Division of Child Protection and Permanence, PEI Kids supervises more than 1,600 court-mandated visits between children in the foster care system and their biological families each year. PEI Kids also manages a transportation program for children in the foster care system and their families who need medical, therapeutic, and other transport services.